As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
A watchlist is a set of personally selected pages that allows you to track changes on an individual wiki. There is also a site-wide global watchlist which allows you to keep track of pages throughout all of Gamepedia.
Purpose[edit | edit source]
Your watchlist is a display for tracking changes, similar to the Recent changes display, but limited to only showing changes across your set of "watched" pages. You can see your watchlist by following the "Watchlist" link in your account menu (on the top right). This feature is only available to users who have registered and logged in.
Getting started[edit | edit source]
Adding pages to your watchlist[edit | edit source]
There are multiple ways to add pages to your watchlist:
- Before you see anything interesting here, you have to actually add some pages to your watchlist. Do so by navigating to a page that interests you, and click the "Watch" link available in a menu that opens when you hover the mouse cursor over the arrow to the left of the search box. Generally, these link appears as a Star icon.
- You can also add a page to your watchlist by using the keyboard controls
- A page can be added to the watchlist in the edit window, on the Wikitext tab, or by clicking on Watch this Page which is located under the edit summary box.
- The same button can be clicked also in the Preview tab and Changes tab.
Removing pages from your watchlist[edit | edit source]
Pages can also be removed from your watchlist in the following ways:
- Visit the page you are following, and click the "Watch/Star" Icon again to remove the page.
- Through the keyboard commands, "code>Alt-Shift-W".
- On the page you are following, in the edit box unclick the "Watch This Page" box.
- On your watchlist page, you can use any of the "View and edit watchlist", "Edit raw Watchlist", "Clear Watchlist" pages to remove pages from your watchlist.
Comparison to RecentChanges[edit | edit source]
The watchlist feature is mainly useful on a very busy wiki where the "Recent changes" display becomes too overwhelming with many changes you don't want to follow. On a typical low traffic wiki, you can normally see all of the editing activity across the whole wiki without feeling overwhelmed. On a more busy wiki you will find that many edits are taking place on pages which you personally find less interesting. To help track changes which are more interesting, start watching pages!
Typically you would watch pages related to your interest areas, and also pages where you care most about the content. If you make a significant edit to a page, you might want to watch the page (so you know when there are any follow-up edits). Note that there is a also a checkbox on the edit screen ("Watch this page") for this purpose.
On the watchlist display, some page names appear in bold. This indicates whether or not you have visited the page to see the change. It's a bit like read/unread emails in an email inbox. The "Recent changes" display will also have some new bold highlighting, but for a different reason. Here bold is just indicating edits to pages on your watchlist.